Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Show Don't Tell

Ever since we finished middle school and started high school me and my friends from middle school got separated. We went to the same high school and still saw each other however we weren’t in the same class and had a new group of friends. In our junior year we decided to catch up so we went to see the comedy movie “Role Models”. I went with Ricardo, Natalie, Brian and Carla whom I‘ve known since the sixth grade. We didn’t but any food in the theatre because we decided to go at a restaurant so we stayed hungry. You could hear Brian’s stomach constantly making noises and he couldn’t wait to go to the restaurant. He refused to eat the popcorn because he was on a diet but ate an apple we bought at a grocery store we passed. The restaurant was located in Roosevelt Avenue and was called “El Dorado.” The food served there was a mixture of Spanish and Chinese food. I have been going to that restaurant with my family for as long I can remember so I was very familiar with the place and the waiters. The restaurant is narrow in the entrance where there are tanks of lobsters and fish and as you go in, it gets wider into a square shaped room. The ceiling of the place was the color of the sky: a bright blue with white clouds. The decoration so n the walls gave it an Asian feel to the place. We sat down and ordered our food. It was a relieve to smell the food. On the table there was steak, chicken, fries and salad. We all started eating except Ricardo and me. He went to the bathroom in the back and I just waited because I didn‘t want to have to get up to let Ricardo in his seat after I got comfortable and started eating. While he was gone Brian who was a playful and immature person decided to put hot sauce in his steak. He called the waiter and ordered what was called the ‘the special hot sauce’. He wanted to put it on Ricardo’s steak but it would be noticeable so he mixed the salad dressing with the hot sauce and it looked like some foreign salad dressing. I was wondering what if he was allergic to the sauce but Carla he knew him better said that he has eaten it before and that he just doesn’t like spicy foods. Ricardo came back and started taking some salad and put on the hot sauce/salad dressing on his salad which was on a separate small dish. Brian couldn’t hold in his laughter to cover up for it he lied saying that he remembered something funny. The girls were smiling, waiting to see what would happen and I went to get a container of cold water. Fortunately, I didn’t miss Ricardo eating his salad and then immediately stop after the first bite. You could see the sweat drops sliding down his cheeks from his forehead. We all laughed including him. He started to turn pink and starting drinking the water quickly. The problem with the joke was that he mixed his food with the sauce and couldn’t eat it. Lucky for him I was eating the same thing and since I didn’t eat anything yet we switched plates. I, unlike Ricardo, enjoy spicy foods. That joke was cruel and even dangerous but it was still funny. Ever since that day every time I see hot sauce or go back to that restaurant I remember that day when Ricardo got his mouth burned by the hot sauce.

http://timdr.com/storage/hot_sauce.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1261871316041

No comments:

Post a Comment